Monday, October 12, 2015

What I've learned about solo travel

Four of the most important things to have when you are traveling alone are:
~Comfortable walking shoes
~A good book
~An open mind
~A positive attitude




I took this weekend to travel to Innsbruck, Austria.  It is incredible to think of how much I have learned just from traveling alone for one weekend.  So many thoughts, I don't even know where to start! First of all if you have never traveled alone, I highly suggest it if you get the chance.  It is a unique experience to see new places and do whatever the heck you want all by yourself.

Comfortable walking shoes are self explanatory.  I guess it depends on the kind of travel you like to do, but for me I just love exploring a new place/city on foot.  A good book is for the times you are waiting for your food at a cafe or just want a break from walking and sightseeing.  I shamelessly read my book at a slightly fancy restaurant, in a park, on an outdoor terrace with a drink... I also love to read and I carry an unnecessarily large purse that could hold five books so there's that.

An open mind I found to be important when it comes to talking to locals and people in general, or experiencing something that was different than my expectations.  Whatever I experience is what I experience so I better make the most of it! One thing I tried to not do was plan every moment of my day.  A quote I read somewhere says this, "Focus on the journey, not the destination." Which is something I have tried to be mindful of as I am experiencing new places and things.  I think as a tourist, it is easy to fall into the trap of planning each destination and landmark and miss everything that happens in between.  What would happen if you got lost? Nothing really.  You might even have to ask a local for directions.  GASP.  Of course there are some landmarks that must not be missed like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel tower would be a little silly.  My point is, I think it is important to slow down and enjoy the surroundings on the way to the Eiffel tower [or whatever said landmark] to truly enjoy and experience a new place.

Speaking with other tourists and locals were some of my favorite parts of the weekend.  I think that its easy to forget when we travel how other people live is different than us and how each persons story is unique.  What brought them to that place at that time? What are their passions and interests? Do they have a favorite food? How many languages can they speak? Where did they grow up? These are the random questions that crossed my mind when I spoke with different people this weekend.  You will probably never see the people you speak with again so even if they think you are weird, who cares?!  I met people from Italy, Guatemala, Poland, Germany, [Austria], and one guy had even spent some time on a farm in none other than little Albany, Minnesota.  The world is so small yet so big my friends.

Last but not least, a positive attitude.  This comes in handy when we are speaking about the weather or a service that is being provided to you like at a restaurant or cafe.  First of all, we can't do anything to change the weather so if its raining - boo hoo. Yes it sucks if your plans must change because of the weather, but then your plans must change and there is nothing you can do about it! Roll with the punches, or should I say forecast (?).  I also find that it does not do to get too upset with slow service at a restaurant or cafe.  Yes you are paying for a service but the people working are human too, giving them grace is good for both of you.  I found especially from being alone, these were things that I had to smile about if it took 15 minutes for the waitress to come talk to me, or if it was too cloudy to actually see the mountains I had hoped to see.  These are things I can't change, so I won't let them put me in a sour mood or ruin my day.

Of course, I am only human and I am guilty of doing some of these things sometimes.  But I am working on it and we are always a work in progress aren't we?

Ok ok, what did I actually do this weekend you might be wondering? I'll try to keep this short.  We all know that sightseeing is just a way to pass the time between the most important part of traveling: food. Yes? Ok glad we agree on that.  Yes I did do some sightseeing and I thoroughly enjoyed everything I saw.  Big churches, pretty colored buildings by the river, small side streets with cobblestone streets, cafes and shops, something famous called the golden roof, and really really beautiful fall colors in the park.  But of course, to me the food is always interesting in a new place.  From my experience, Austria knows sweets, meats, and apples.  My three favorite food things/places from the weekend were:  A steamy apple strudel at a romantic candlelit table for one [lol] in a restaurant off the beaten path;  breakfast at a trendy place with fresh bread, cheese and egg with REAL coffee and carrot juice (also got to watch the cute barista make cappuccinos and lattes for the win), and an afternoon on an outdoor patio with cake and hot chocolate [where you stir your own ball of chocolate into hot milk!]   For my Cork friends, this one is a close second with O'connails.

Also, yesterday I had thought of seeing a museum because it was cold out when I stumbled upon an exhibition about Medicine Sans Frontiers or Doctors Without Borders.  So instead of spending money on the museum, I had a free tour [in English] to learn more about what they do which was much more interesting to me than Austrian history, sorry to say.  In true Steph fashion I spent the money on cake instead :) It was a win win for all.

This weekend was 100% treatyoself weekend for me and I will treasure these days.  WAH, these are always longer than I mean for them to be but I hope I've given you some food for thought and some insight into what I am learning in these three months.

[PICTURES]

Main shopping street.

Joined the rest of the tourists by asking a stranger to take a pic of me in front of this famous gold roof. lol.

Birds eye view of Innsbruck.

Yummiest hot chocolate

Picnic in the park. I had a fairly long convo with a 90 year old man who couldn't speak any English, he tried to warn me that all the Italian boys were going to come after me. 


Thank you Lord, for simple pleasures like fall colors, good coffee and kindness from strangers.

2 comments:

  1. Such a great post, Steph!! Thanks for sharing your trip and I agree completely with your advice on "rolling with the punches/forecast etc...."!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, dad! Yes sometimes the weather can dampen the fun, but then maybe you just play in the rain instead :)

    ReplyDelete