Wednesday, October 28, 2015

On celebrating 23 in Italy

Well, I guess I am 23 now.  One year older means one year wiser, right? I sure hope so! I also don't feel like an adult yet, but maybe thats ok.  I also will always love cake for my birthday so I am glad that tradition will never change :)



This birthday was of course, very unique.  I have never spent a birthday away from my people and it was sad in that sense, but also it was refreshing to be celebrated by people that don't really know me that well.  I was reminded of the kindness of others and how we are all connected as humans wanting to feel like we belong and we are loved.  I definitely felt that from people here in Merano, and back in the States.  I was surprised with yummy treats from my family in Merano and au pair friends as well, so thanks to you guys if you are reading this :) Thanks also to my friends and family back home who sent me birthday wishes.

So, what has year 22 brought me? Hm.  Lots of different things.  I graduated from college (HOLLA), its the first year I have been single for a long time,  I deepened my friendships at St. Ben's, discovered my love for the Northwoods of Wisconsin, have met some really cool people from around the world, have had some amazing opportunities for traveling and am always learning more about myself and the kind of person I hope to be and the kind of life I hope to live.  It's been a good year, full of adventures, joys, challenges, disappointments and love.  Which I expect will be what most years will bring in life!

In my 23rd year, it will be the first time I am not a student which will be an adjustment.  I will have various odd jobs this year that I expect to bring me more of what 22 brought me.  Developing relationships that are fulfilling at HoneyRock, being able to spend time with my family and friends from St. Ben's, and as always seeking new adventures.  Thankful for these 22 years and looking forward to 23!

Recently in Merano, things are as always at a steady pace.  Not too fast, and not too slow.  Drinking coffee, going for walks, doing my daily "work" things. I have enjoyed spending time with other au pairs and going out in the evenings as well as baking some of my favorite American classics for the family :) We are gearing up to spend the Halloween weekend in a city on the east coast of Italy called San Benedetto del Tronto.  Mom and dad have work meetings so I will be babysitting Beatrice and her friend while they are at meetings.

After the weekend I will get ready for traveling around to a few cities for just one week instead of longer like I had originally planned.  I changed my mind for a variety of reasons but we can attribute it to the fact that I am horrible at making decisions and am a little bit crazy sometimes :)...  After that there will only be two weeks in Merano until I head to Verona and Sicily with a friend for a few days and then back to Minnie for Thanksgiving.

Happy early Halloween everyone!


Friday Street Market

Italian Pizza with my French friend ;)

Devoured this...

Sunny fall day

Piazza Duomo


4 comments:

  1. Hey Steph! Thanks for yet another great post and hoping that your last few weeks in Italy and wherever else your travels lead you is awesome! And I know this next year will be filled with even more amazing adeventures and great times with family and friends.
    Love - Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment dad! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks.

      Delete
  2. I love looking into your experience every once in a while πŸ˜€πŸ˜€what a wonderful experience you are having! San Benedetto del Tronto is near the town in which I taught called Porto Potenza. I'm looking forward to reading all about it. Enjoy! Sip delicious wine, enjoy yummy gelato, relax for long walks, etc. The list goes on. Have so much fun!πŸ˜€πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Bummer we didn't see much of San Benedetto del Tronto, but don't worry I am taking your advice on the treats and the walks.

      Delete