Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Florence for the win

Last stop: Florence

I am still not feeling so great about posting this because I want to be sensitive these trying times, but hopefully you, my family and Facebook friends, will appreciate a little break from the madness that is happening in our world today.  

The last time I went to Florence it was Easter.  There were people everywhere, the lines were long for everything and the street vendors were on their marketing game.  I loved it nonetheless and really wanted to go back again, even if I had already seen it.  This time around, I was pumped to be there with less people but little did I know that I planned my trip to Florence the same time the Pope did.  He was probably just hoping to hang out with me or something.  So, to my disappointment there were  still a million people around but again I still had a great time and loved returning to a city to discover new things about it.  Just had to dodge more people than I would have liked :)

Two things are for sure: Florence wins for gelato and panini, and Florence also wins for best sunsets. Seriously the best. 

Arriving at the same train station that I had been before was really fun because I was like, "Hey! I know this place!" Made me feel more prepared and not quite so much like I had no idea what I was doing.  Also made me miss my travel buddies.  S/O to Cam and Tierney for not killing me after three weeks of traveling together :)  My hostel was in the perfect location.  It was nearby to coffee shops and pizzerias that were not touristy, but also only about a ten minute walk to the Piazza Duomo.  

I had a few goals for my solo trip to this beautiful Italian city.  One was to research and find the best places for gelato and panini.  Another was to climb the bell tower of the Duomo, and visit a museum or two since we were unable to do those things last time around because of the crowds.  

I read somewhere that Florence is the birthplace of gelato and after doing my research, I found some of the best gelato I have had in Italy so far.  What I have learned throughout my travels that in touristy cities like these, the best food is always off the beaten path.  There are take away gelato and pizza stands all over the main streets but the pizza is usually cold and gelato is icy and not creamy like its supposed to be.  The best gelato I have ever had was from a place here called La Carraia.  It was only a couple minutes walk down the river away from the main stuff but it was the most flavorful and creamiest of creamy gelatos.  I opted for my usual, nocciola (hazelnut), and one with pistachio and white chocolate. My tongue was singing.   GO HERE if you are in Florence.  

As for the best panino I have probably ever had, I also did my research and kept coming to the same place called All'Antico Vinaio.  I knew I had found the right place when I stumbled upon about 20 people waiting in line outside this tiny little doorway.  The panino itself was about as big as my face and had layers of prosciutto, truffle cream, porcini mushrooms, and spicy eggplant in between two beautiful large pillows of focaccia bread.  It was well worth the 10-15 minute wait and the 5 euros.  I took my sandwich and ate it on the steps in Palazzo Vecchio and listened to a guy play the guitar.  Beautiful.  

My most favorite moment of this trip was climbing the bell tower, or Giotto's Campanile, right before sunset.  The buildings in this Piazza have to be some of the most unique and beautiful feats of architecture in Europe.  The dome of the cathedral is the largest brick dome ever constructed and it took 150 years to complete.  Pretty amazing.  414 steps and 10 euros later, breathing hard with burning thighs, I had the most magnificent view of the dome and the city right at sunset.  It was an exhilarating life giving moment.

On my last day in Florence, the Pope was to arrive.  It was the first time in 29 years that any Pope had visited Florence so it was a big deal to these people.  In true Pope Francis style, I read that he ate lunch with some of the poorest citizens of the city at a shelter and greeted some of the sick and disabled.  I didn't plan on trying to see him because I hate crowds but somehow I wandered into the piazza right when the Pope was arriving at the entrance to the church.  I didn't have a great view but I saw him greet the crowd, talk to some important people and enter the church, which was just enough for me.  It was a cool experience to be a part of the action among some of his most loyal supporters.

I loved exploring this city for a second time.  I created new memories, did new things and found parts of the city that I had missed the last time around.  Traveling alone here I also met a lot of really interesting and kind people.  I met a few Americans from California and Texas, a couple from New Zealand, a guy from Brazil and another one from South Korea.  I consistently surprised myself by striking up conversations with strangers, but I was always glad that I did to hear their story and also share mine.  

Theeee BEST panino

Greasy and tangled hair, sweaty and tired after the climb, but feeling so alive!


Sigh....

You can just barely make out the Popes' white little hat :)

Self explanatory.

Time is sailing by as I will be home in exactly two weeks after feasting on some good ole Thanksgiving day turkey.  I can't wait to see my family and friends, but I will be sad to leave Europe once again.  Stay tuned for a final few posts on Merano and my last trip: Verona and Palermo!

No comments:

Post a Comment