Monday, November 23, 2015

Final days in Merano

Returning to Merano from my week of solo travel was a strange feeling.  It was like wow I have been to all these places and now I am coming back here to "normal" life, but only for 10 more days.  Usually when you return from a trip you get to go 'home' for a much longer period of time so I think my concept of home and time and traveling are all thrown off because home is scattered in so many different places now.

Of course, my one true home will always be Cambridge, Minnesota.  I am a true Minnesotan at heart.  I have learned this when my heart aches for all things Minnesota when I am away.  BUT, my heart holds onto different places in this earth that I also feel I can say are my homes.  These include but are not limited to: St. Ben's, Trout Lake Camps, Cork Ireland, HoneyRock, and now Merano Italy.

I realized after coming back here that I was not ready to say goodbye when I left for my trip.  I am happy with my decision because it has given me the chance to build on the relationships I have here and also time to say my goodbyes to this fairytale city.  Looking out the window of the kitchen, I am reminded of the beauty of this earth even when there is so much chaos going on.  When am I ever going to live somewhere again that I can casually look out my window and see a picture perfect postcard view of the mountains?  I am never not in awe of this view.

Anyways, these last ten days have consisted of normal working days, finishing packing and getting all my things together, buying those last few gifts and hanging out with my friends in Merano.  One of the things that will be different about leaving Europe this time will be that I am leaving people that I care about behind.  In Cork, I made a few random friends but the city will remain the same when I return and it was the city and culture that I fell in love with.  Here, I definitely enjoy Merano but I think it will be more difficult to say goodbye to the people I have met here.  Even if we have only been friends for a few months we have had the connection of living in a new place, not knowing the language and for most of my friends here, having the same jobs.  The city itself will stay the same when I return, but people come and go.

I am so thankful for the people I have met here to make my experience that much more unique and memorable.  For my au pair friends, cafe forum for lyfe.  I can't wait to visit all of you in your respective countries! For my friends from Italian lessons (you know who you are), I wish you the best of luck with everything and hope that our paths cross again sometime in life.

In Merano, they are beginning to set up for the Christmas markets.  The markets open the day after Thanksgiving so I will just miss them by about a week.  It is still fun to see the booths be set up, the lights be hung in the streets, and the air begin to feel a bit like Christmas is coming.  The markets will run for a few weeks and is one of the more famous things about Merano in the wintertime.  I have been told that it is like a winter wonderland with all of the lights and holiday spirit! Just means I will have to return someday to experience it myself :)

Here are some photos from my last night in Merano with the au pairs.

Signorvino wine bar

This girl though.

Pizza per tutti!



In my last few days in Italy, I will be galavanting around Verona and Palermo with one of my best friends from school.  Then I will be on my way HOME for Thanksgiving.  Thanks, as always, for reading :)


1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear more about your stay in Italy (in English and Italian!!!)

    ReplyDelete