Sunday, September 13, 2015

New Routines

Hello all!

[I took this from my bedroom window...I know, right?]


So today marks a week in Merano.  Can't believe its already been a week! It has been a week of discovering many of the things that Merano has to offer including: the beauty of the landscape and panoramic views, the delicious regional foods, the history and mix of German and Italian culture, and of course learning the routines of the house and more about each member of the family I am living with.

When my mom and I arrived last weekend we were a little tired from traveling and not sure what to say or do as first meetings can sometimes be awkward.  We were both very excited to get here though and finally meet the family I have been only communicating with via email, WhatsApp, and occasionally FaceTime.  Barbara had already planned for us to rest a little bit and then they had made a reservation at a nice pizzeria for the 5 of us.  It was such a great introduction to Merano and the family- also really great pizza [insert emoji with tongue out].  My mom's last day here, we wandered the city in the morning and then in the afternoon we all went up to a popular walk/hike that overlooks the city.  The sun was shining, our bellies were full of delicious food, we were with great company and a great view- it is a day that I will smile at in the future.

Saying goodbye to my mom was not so fun.  She was making her way back to the U.S. alone - which can be intimidating in a country where you don't speak the language - and I was about to stay with a family that I just met for three months.  (She also had a few travel issues-canceled flights and such- which was no fun for her).  Although three months is relatively not that long, after spending practically every minute with someone for 7 days straight and then not at all for awhile is weird and sad.  All that to say, I've missed my mom this week.

On the other hand, I have enjoyed beginning to find a routine here and figure out the bus system (YAY!) and be able to navigate through the city to find things I need or want.  My main duties as an au pair are to clean around the house and do some shopping while Beatrice is at school, pick her up from school and make lunch for the both of us, and then play or do an activity until mom gets home.  The upcoming weeks will be a little different with Beatrice starting ballet lessons and me starting Italian lessons (!).  This first weekend we have all been together has been very low key.  It is so interesting to observe and be a part of a true Italian family with all their routines and things they like to do in their free time.  Namely, on Saturday night they typically eat out and on Sunday there is usually some outing or activity where lunch is eaten out of the house and they are usually back before dinner.

So for this weekend, we went to a restaurant/brewhaus with typical foods from this region which is the South Tyrol region.  There are a lot of influences from Germany here, about 70% of the population is German and the rest are Italian.  So with that, some of the cuisine is actually German - so for example I had pork schnitzel and potatoes with cranberries.  I am getting a taste of combined cultures which is kinda fun.  The German influence is also evident in many of the names of towns or cities in the region.  Merano is the Italian name for the city but Meran is the German name.  On many of the road signs you will see Merano/Meran to indicate the city.  Many people have also started talking to me in German because I am blond, which I guess is a compliment that they don't automatically speak to me in English?

A few things that I have found noteworthy about Merano and Italy:
~It is a very clean city, not much dog poop to be found, although there are many dogs.
~It is actually pretty touristy- mainly for middle aged and older people, and some families- the region is famous for its spas and wine.
~Many of the hills are covered in grapevines and apples [instead of sheep dotting the hills like in Ireland :)].
~It actually will get decently cold in November- not quite like Minnesota- but colder than I imagined I suppose.
~Lastly, I just love observing normal life for the people here.  Although there are cultural and language differences, I am constantly reminded that we are all humans on this earth and pretty much do the same things just with a few different twists.  [insightful thought for the day]

This is a little long I suppose, but thanks for reading again.  I am so thankful to have the opportunity to explore and learn on this great big earth! So thanks to all of you for being interested in my adventures.

Until next time, arrivederci!

Fresh grape juice, yum!



Photocreds: Mom :)

Part of Merano's main drag

From today's outing~Dad and daughter


2 comments:

  1. Steph - so fun to read about and see more pictures from your home city for the next few months! And it looks pretty amazing via pictures so I can only imagine what it looks like in person. Thanks for sharing this with us and I'm looking forward to more!! Love - Dad

    ReplyDelete